In these Terms and Conditions –
"Centre" means the Hong Kong Baptist University Lam Woo International Conference Centre;
"University" means the Hong Kong Baptist University;
"Hirer" means a person who hires either the whole or part of the Centre;
"Venue" means a room or other part of the Centre;
"Terms and Conditions" means these Terms and Conditions of Hire together with the Hire Charges Schedule attached hereto;
"Confirmed Booking" is a booking of the venue(s) for a specified period made by a Hirer on an application form and confirmed in writing by the Academic Community Hall;
"Application Form" means a form supplied by the Academic Community Hall and Hong Kong Baptist University for the purpose of applying for the hire of the venue(s).
2. GENERAL CONVENANT
The Hirer shall ensure the performance and observance by himself, his agents and by all other persons admitted to the venue(s) hired by him, of these Terms and Conditions of Hire.
3. USE OF THE VENUE(S)
The booking of the venue(s) shall be deemed to be cancelled if the Hirer -
- assigns of sublets the venue(s) to another party;
- uses the venue(s) for a purpose other than stated in the application form;
- changes the nature of the function.
The Hirer shall not use the venue(s) for the performance in public of any dramatic or musical work or for the delivery in public of any lecture or address in respect of any matter in which copyright subsists without the consent of the owner of the copyright. The Hirer shall indemnify the University against any infringement of copyright which may occur during the hiring.
The Hirer shall obtain all permits from the HKSAR Government which by any enactment are required in connexion with any entertainment or function in the venue(s) during the period when it is hired by him.
6. DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PROPERTY
Under no circumstances will the University make good or accept responsibility or liability in respect of any damage or theft or loss of any property, goods, articles or things whatsoever placed, deposited, brought into or left upon the premises either by the Hirer for his use of purposes or by any other person, or left or deposited with any officer or servant of the University and the Hirer must indemnify and hold the University, and their servants and officers harmless in respect thereof.
7. DAMAGE FROM CLOSURE
The University shall not be liable for any loss due to any breakdown of machinery, failure of supply of electricity, leakage of water, fire, government restriction or act of God which may cause the premises to be temporarily closed or the hiring to be interrupted or cancelled.
The Hirer shall be liable for and shall indemnify the University in respect of any loss, damage, or injury which may be incurred by or be done or happen to the Hirer or any person or persons in his employ or any of his subcontractors or by or to any other person or persons resorting to the venue(s) by reason of the use of the venue(s) by the Hirer.
9. REMOVAL OF PROPERTY AFTER HIRING
If after any hiring any property of the Hirer or of any other person is found in the venue(s), the University may remove and store the same in such manner as he may consider necessary and, on demand, the Hirer or such other person shall repay to the University the cost of such removal and storage which shall be a first charge upon such property.
10. DAMAGE OR REPAIR OF PROPERTY
- The Hirer shall repay to the University on demand the cost of reinstation or replacing any part of or property in the venue(s) hired by him, which shall be damaged, destroyed, stolen or removed during the period of hire.
- The Hirer shall leave all apparatus, utensils, fixtures, machines or equipment in the venue(s) used by him or on his behalf in a thoroughly clean, wholesome and properly working condition to the satisfaction of the University.
- The Hirer shall not permit any electrical apparatus or fittings of any kind to be attached to or used in conjunction with existing electrical fittings in the venue(s) without the prior permission of the University.
- The Hirer shall not affix any glue, scotch-tape, gum-paper, nails, spikes, tacks or any other thing on any plaster wall or floor or on any fixture fitting or furniture in any part of a venue, without the prior approval of the University.
11. ADMISSION AND CONTROL OF AUDIENCES
The Hirer shall during the hiring be responsible for:
- the efficient supervision of the venue(s) including the effective control of children, the orderly and safe admission and departure of persons to and from the venue(s) and orderly and safe clearance of the venue(s) in case of emergency;
- the safety of the venue(s) and the preservation of good order and decency therein;
- ensuring all doors giving egress from the venue(s) shall be kept unfastened and unobstructed and immediately available for exit during the whole time the venue(s) is(are) in use and no obstruction shall be placed or allowed to remain in any corridor giving access to the venue(s).
12. REMOVAL OF DANGEROUS PROPERTY
The University may order the Hirer to remove from any venue or from the venue(s) anything brought by the Hirer or his agents which in the opinion of the University is dangerous or liable to cause nuisance or obstruction and the Hirer shall thereupon immediately remove such thing.
13. CATERING SERVICES
- All catering services shall be provided by the authorized catering outlet(s) of the University.
- The Hirer shall not, without the prior consent of the University in writing, permit food, drink or gifts of any kind to be distributed to any members of an audience or members of the public in the venue(s) and such consent may be withdrawn by the University if there is any breach or non-observance of any conditions prescribed by the University for the distribution of such food, drink or gifts.
- The University does not allow consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises.
14. SMOKING & NAKED FLAME
The Hirer shall not permit smoking or the use of naked flame in any part of the venue(s).
15. IDENTIFICATION CARD
The Hirer or his agents shall present the Confirmation issued by the University before the hiring.
16. HIRE CHARGES
The hire charges specified in the Hire Charges Schedule shall apply to all hirings and shall be payable in advance in the following manner:
- 50% of the venue charges shall be payable as a deposit within two weeks from the date of acceptance of booking by the University;
- balance amount including the equipment charges shall be paid before the hiring date.
17. CANCELLATION OF BOOKING
Where the confirmed booking of the venue(s) is cancelled by the Hirer -
- if the Hirer shall give 30 or more days’ written notice of cancellation, he shall be refunded the whole of the deposit if he has paid so; and
- if the Hirer shall give less than 30 days’ written notice of cancellation, the whole of the deposit paid shall be forfeited or 50% of the venue charges will be imposed if payment has not made at time of cancellation.
18. ARRANGEMENTS ON THE APPROACH OF TYPHOON/RAINSTORMS
Where the confirmed booking of the venue(s) is cancelled by the Hirer -
- When Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above is hoisted, the University will close all venues. The Hirer is requested to leave the venue immediately.
- If Typhoon Signal No. 8 is lowered before 12:00 noon, the University will open all venues for afternoon and evening sessions. If Typhoon Signal No. 8 is lowered before 3:00 p.m., the University will open all venues for evening sessions.
- When a Rainstorm "Black" Warning Signal is in force before office hours, all venues will be closed. If the Rainstorm "Black" Warning Signal is removed before 12:00 noon, the University will open all venues for afternoon and evening sessions. If the Rainstorm "Black" Warning Signal is removed before 3:00 p.m., the University will open all venues for evening sessions.,
- If a Rainstorm "Black" Warning Signal is issued in the middle of the day, all venues will continue to open and participants are advised to stay indoors.
In case of cancellation due to the hoist of Typhoon or Rainstorm signals, the Hirer has the choice to take another date within three months for the same venue subject to the venue availability or 50% of the venue charges will be imposed.
19. CLOSURE AND CANCELLATION
The University may at any time and in his absolute discretion close the venue(s), or by notice to the Hirer, cancel a confirmed booking and on such closure or cancellation any monies paid by the Hirer by way of fees or charges shall be returned to the Hirer, but the University shall not be liable to the Hirer for any loss or damage he may sustain arising out of such closure or cancellation.
20. BREACH OF TERMS & CONDITIONS
If the Hirer shall fail to observe or perform any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Hire, the University may, without notice, cancel the confirmed booking and terminate the hiring of the venue(s) but such cancellation shall not release the Hirer from any of his obligations under the Terms and Conditions of Hire nor affect any right or remedy which the University may have under the Terms and Conditions of Hire or otherwise and any hire charges paid by the Hirer shall be forfeited.
21. VACATING PREMISES
The Hirer shall at the expiration of the period of the hiring leave the venue(s) in a clean and orderly state.
Any complaint arising out of the hiring must be made in writing to the University within three days of the occasion of such complaint.
23. DEMAND OR REQUEST
Any noise demand or request by the University to or upon the Hirer may be sent by ordinary prepaid post addressed to the Hirer at the Hirer's address given in the application form and shall be deemed to be made or served at the time when the letter containing the same would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.
24. CHANGE OR AMENDMENT
The University retains the right to change or amend the aforecited Terms and Conditions in his absolute discretion.